Tuesday 5 January 2010

It's all about the Cardigan

I've been searching on and off for the perfect vintage 50's beaded cardigan for five years.
I had certain criteria in mind when seeking it out. It can't be yellow, cream, white or black. Has to be 100% natural fibers. Must button down the front, no hooks and eyes. Not too many sequins, if any. Had to be in reasonable, wearable condition (not too many moth holes!) and if possible, had to be under £60. And of course, it had to fit me.

I didn't think it was going to be a hard search. But I was wrong.

There was a few nearlys along the way. A beautiful pringle cardigan i was outbid on on ebay, an amazing cardigan in a London vintage shop that was over a £100.

And then there was all the cardigans that weren't
my size. Too big, too small.

But today, my search finally ended. Behold the chosen sweater:









It's nearly perfect. I think I'll always been on the look out for the absolute perfect cardigan (the ones with heavily beaded vines and grapes are among my favourite) but this one comes pretty damn close. It's cashmere too, which is a bonus. Included in the listing was the original advert for the cardigan, which is fantastic:















The original price was $39.95, I purchased mine for $60. I think thats pretty good going!
If your looking for your own perfect 50's beaded cardigan, there are plenty on etsy:





























































Maybe they'll fit in to your criteria of the perfect 50's cardigan!

Emily


1 comment:

  1. whew! I'm with you on this search, girlfriend.

    thank you for the feature!

    love
    NICOLE!
    of gimmeNICOLE

    ReplyDelete